Angostura was created in 1824 and is best known for its concentrated bitters. Their story began when Dr. Siegert perfected a “miracle tonic”, a recipe to improve the appetite of soldiers in the town of Angostura and relieve digestive problems. In 1875 the company moved to Trinidad, where it is still located today. In the 1940s, Angostura began producing its own rum, distilled in column stills, from molasses. Today, Angostura is one of the Caribbean's leading rum producers and the island's last active distillery.